Monday, July 1, 2013

Enteralite Infinity Pump vs. Kangaroo Joey Pump

During the time I have had my feeding tube I have had both a Enteralite Infinity Pump by Moog and a Kangaroo Joey Pump by Kendall. So in this post I am going to compare and contrast the two pumps based off of my experiences with them.

Screen
Kangaroo Joey: The screen is a decent size and well lit so it's easy to read from virtually every angle, plus there are red, yellow and green lights beside the screen that tell you the status of the feed at a glance.
Infinity Pump: The screen is small and can be rather hard to read from an angle, so unless you are eye to eye with it, it makes it hard to read or even see if the pump is still running.

Priming:
Kangaroo Joey: The pump has an auto prime button which primes the line in seconds, also has a button you can push to prim incase you have an extension suck as mic-key extensions and this button also primes very quickly. Also has a flap that can be lifted to see the pump rather than having to unzip the backpack to turn off alarms
Infinity Pump: The prime button is Super Slow and if you don't keep it pushed in the entire time you are priming, which can be a while, it beeps obnoxiously. You can also prime the line without the pump which is much quicker than priming with the pump

Ease of programming:
Kangaroo Joey: Everything on this pump is pretty easy to program, this includes the feed rate, and volume of the alarm
Infinity Pump: Most everything on this pump is easy to program this includes the feed rate and how much should be fed at one feeding but to change the volume of alarms isn't so easy. You have to hold the on/off button and the + button for 1.5 seconds and then use the prime button to scroll up and down, which isn't exactly user friendly or easy to remember.

Alarms:
Kangaroo Joey: The alarm on this pump is rather high pitched and wakes me up easily when there is an error in the middle of the night so I can fix the problem and go back to sleep.
Infinity Pump: The alarm is lower pitched than the joey's alarm and didn't wake me up when there was an error in the middle of the night so can be a good pump for babies and younger children whose parents run the pump for the through out the night and day.

Line Kinking:
Kangaroo Joey: the tubing on the pump set seems to be a bit thicker than the tubing on the infinity pump and there for get kinked less often. After I switched pumps I have gotten less alarms because my tubing has kinked either in the backpack or while I am sleeping.
Infinity Pump: The tubing is thinner, so in my experience there are more alarms because of kinked tubing in the backpack or during sleep.

Noise:
Kangaroo Joey: This pump is a little noisey when running, sounds rather like a pencil sharpener when running,
Infinity Pump: This pump runs pretty quietly, it's a lot quieter than the Kangaroo Joey

Size:
Kangaroo Joey: This pump is larger and more bulky as well as heavier than the Infinity pump is
Infinity Pump: This pump is small and compact

Backpacks:
Kangaroo Joey: The backpack to the kangaroo joey is pretty straight forward it has a pocket that the pump fits in as well as several straps that help hold the feed bag in place. This backpack is bigger than the one for the infinity pump which makes it more comfortable to wear for a teenager or adult
Infinity Pump: The backpack to the Infinity pump is a little more confusing, I had the pump for about 3 months and I still had issues getting the pump securely into the backpack. This backpack is rather small which makes it rather uncomfortable for a teenager like me or and adult to wear, it is more suited towards littler kids.


So to come to a conclusion there are good things and bad things about each pump, in the end I would suggest the Infinity pump for babies and younger children who are mobile, the smaller pump and backpack are well suited for this use. While I suggest the Kangaroo Joey pump for active teenagers and adult because the teenager and adult doesn't have an issue with the pump being a bit heavier than the infinity, as well as the teen and adult is going to be more comfortable in the larger Kangaroo Joey backpack.

8 comments:

  1. I heard the feeding bag's plug for the Infinity doesn't connect very well with NG Tube extension... The Kangaroo ones are more secure. That disapoint me as I am more interested in the Infinity pump because its more portable and less noisy ...

    Which pump should I get for a NG tube? Im so confused ><

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it depends on you. Yes the kangaroo is a bit louder but to me being 16 is just as easy to carry as my infinity was. And infinity extensions don't plug in very well to NG or NJ tubes I fed my bed quite a few times during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a 3 year old..... he has only had the INFINITY.... I have absolutely no problems with it....I like that it is quiet...n easier for travel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the informative information. Based on this info, I think I'm going to opt for the Joey pump. Just one quick question, how long can the Joey bags be used based on 3 feeds of 250mls per feed? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basically for bags they are all 24 hour use no matter what pump you use, but between feeds it is, in my experience best to store them in the refrigerator. And Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The issues with the connectors will be a moot point within the year. There are new changes coming to all enteral connections and they will all connect the same way, i.e., a luer type connector. This is starting now and will be completed within a year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post! I currently have the the Kangaroo Pump for my NJ tube and was thinking of seeing if trying to switch to the infinity pump would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this informative comparison.

    ReplyDelete