Friday, June 28, 2013

A Middle of the Night Emergency

Having a feeding tube required you to be prepared for some very sudden trips to the ER. One of these sudden trips happened Monday night. It was around 12:30 a.m. when I sat up to put more formula into my feed bag and my feeding tube just started coming out of my stoma (hole created by doctors so that the tube can pass from the outside of the body to the inside), I grabbed a hold of the tube and kept it from coming out any farther but with what little that had happened the balloon that holds the tube in was already on the outside of my body. Here's what it looked like after I taped it down so it wouldn't come out any farther.......



Sorry the picture isn't the best but circled in the blue is the balloon that should be on the inside of my stomach, and circled in green is the outside bumper that should be right next to my skin.

After I taped the tube down so it wouldn't come out any farther I went downstairs and woke my mom up telling her that I needed to go to the ER. She got up and called the ER to tell them we where on our way while I packed an overnight bag and grabbed the information we needed to give to the ER department.
We arrived at the ER around 1:30, it takes us about an hour to get to the hospital, where I was taken back and evaluated. It took them several x-rays, on balloon check (the balloon had burst) and many hours for the doctors to decide that I needed to be admitted until they could change out my tube down in Interventional Radiology the next day. So at 6:30 I arrived at my hospital room where I was hooked back up to the IV fluids I had been getting in the ER and the nurse asked all of the admittance questions. Around 7 am the nurses came in to tell me who my day nurse was because it was time for shift change. Then around 8 am one of the GI residents came into my room to do an initial assessment on me before the entire team of GI doctors rounded.
When the GI team came in there where about 10 different doctors all crammed into my tiny hospital room, and this is when they went over the days plan which was to stay on IV fluids until they could get me down to Interventional Radiology where I would be sedated and have a new GJ tube place, then I would come back to the floor wait an hour and start pedialite feeds at 20 ml per hour and work my way up to my formula going at my rate of 60 ml per hour and send me home that night.
Their plan was exactly how the day worked out I  had my new tube placed which ended up to me a Mic-Key button instead of my long PEG tube. My Mic-Key button looks like this......
 
 
The change in tube was a huge upgrade, this one is much more comfortable and lighter than my old one. I got back up onto the floor at 4:30 pm so I had to wait until 5:30 to start running the pedialite, then after going at 20 ml per hour they bumped me up to 40 ml per hour of the pedialite. Then they had to go looking for my formula to be able to bump it up to 60 but in the end they just ran pedialite again at 60 ml per hour for and hour and then they started to get my discharge papers together. By the time all the discharge papers where filled out and my nurse pushed me in a wheel chair out to my mom car it was 10:15 at night and we where free to go home after filling my prescription of pain medicine to help with the pain changing the tube at only 2 and a half weeks out of surgery caused.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment