Sunday, June 16, 2013

GJ PEG feeding tube

So in this post I am going to show you what type of feeding tube I have as well as tell you what each of the ports does. First I will start with what kind of tube I have.....My tube is a GJ PEG tube meaning it is a long tube that goes into both my stomach and my jejunum, which is the beginning of the intestines. Here is what my tube looks like......
This picture was taken right after my surgery, you can see the square of gauze that sits between my skin and the flexible rubber bumper that keeps the tube from sliding farther into the opening the surgeon made, or the stoma. Then there is the long tube that connects to the three ports that I use to feed myself or take medications.
This is what the three ports on the end of my GJ PEG tube look like. They are all clearly marked with where they lead. The on that say Bal. is used to inflated and deflate the balloon that is inside my body and is use to anchor the tube and keep it inside my body. Now for the port marked Jejunal is the port that leads to my intestines, this is the tube that I get feed through, and actually you can see the purple connector that hooks my tube up to my feeding pump. This is also the port that I take all of my liquid medication through. Then the last port is labeled Gastric and is the port that leads to my stomach. I don't use the port for anything other than venting, or draining, my stomach. I hook up a bag that is designed to catch stomach bile up to this port and let my stomach drain, this helps with a ton with my nausea and vomiting.
 
 So there is a little bit of information about my tube and how it works. If you have any questions about anything I have said in the post just put them in the comments and I will answer them as soon as I see that they are there.

2 comments:

  1. Do you still have your tube? My daughter is struggling with the decision to go from G to GJ even though she is steadily losing weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! thanks for sharing! Can I ask what the clear connector piece is between the feeding tube and the J port? My son has this same extension and we keeping havin plastic pices from cnonector extensions break off IN the J port. I need a clear rubber adapter like that!!!

    ReplyDelete