Saturday, August 24, 2013

First Week of School

So my first week of school wasn't all that bad. I am hooked up to continuous feeds throughout the day and nobody but my close friends and teachers really know my feeding tube is there. There has been some adjustment from spending all day at home where if something beeps it's not a big deal and where I can just get up and get my medicines when they are due and just pick up things where I left them off, rather than if I need to go take meds or add formula to my feeding pump class doesn't stop if I get up and go to the nurses office. So far I have found out a rough idea of when I need to add formula seeings I can only carry around four hours of formula at a time and I usually get to the nurses office before my pump runs out and beeps. I have only beeped in the middle of class once and that was about the most embarrassing thing ever but really it only led me to miss a little bit of study hall and have a few students ask me about my tube and why it was beeping. The one thing that does suck about going to school in lunch, it's not fun sitting in a room full of students eating while I can't eat. Mainly I have found that if I find friends and do homework the eating kids don't bother me too much  plus I have the choice to go to the library during lunch. The other things I do at lunch is I fill up my feed backpack and take all of my nausea medicines plus my motility medicine. The last thing that I notice about going to school all day is that by the end of the day my body is drained and after I do my homework I am in bed by at least 9:30, which is pretty early for a teenager.  
First day of school as a tubie.

1 comment:

  1. I realize this comment is like six months after the fact, but I just wanted to link you to something I posted. I'm a college student on continuous feeds, and I have rigged the backpack I was originally using for school before I needed the tube to work with my Kangaroo Joey pump. It can probably work for an EnterLite Infinity as well. I know it's hard to be different sometimes, and it's definitely more convenient to have everything in one backpack.

    http://www.inspire.com/ibreakhearts66/journal/how-i-use-my-north-face-school-backpack-with-a-pump/

    ReplyDelete